Leyton Orient

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Re: Leyton Orient

Post by Blue Walter »

meakinsl wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:25 am I vaguely remember Leyton orient beating us years ago - maybe a cup game that seemed a bit of a low and a turning point or maybe it’s just old age but anyway let’s hope that is some sort of turning point and incentive to get some players in and push on - as others have said the signings will say a lot about the owners ambition right now as surely never been a better time to go for it
Yes I remember that. They were a division below us and it was one of those games that you could see what was coming from early on. I remember Darren Anderton having shot that hit the inside of the post and bounced across and hit the inside of of the other post and came back into play.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:26 am
meakinsl wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:25 am I vaguely remember Leyton orient beating us years ago - maybe a cup game that seemed a bit of a low and a turning point or maybe it’s just old age but anyway let’s hope that is some sort of turning point and incentive to get some players in and push on - as others have said the signings will say a lot about the owners ambition right now as surely never been a better time to go for it
They beat us in FA Cup I think it was 4-1.
Rix got sacked soon after and in came Harry!

Different times different situation
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:20 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:26 am
They beat us in FA Cup I think it was 4-1.
Rix got sacked soon after and in came Harry!

Different times different situation
That's the season we stayed up beating Barnsley at home last game of the season isn't it? Gary Brady got sent off?

I was at both of those games - was just the short 6 hour round trip in those days.
meakinsl
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 6 times

Post by meakinsl »

Ah yes you are correct on the Rix sacking soon after, his name was enough to find the game in question, now all we need to do is find a Merson and Todorov from somewhere and we’d be fine !
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

I’d take Yakubu!
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

I think there are multiple reasons why we are in this slump with one of the reasons being the summer window transfer business. I think the failure to significantly strengthen the squad in certain areas have now become crucial. I think the reliance on untried and inexperienced strikers was a mistake. I also think that Mousinho has become dogmatic in the style of play with his insistence of only playing one up front. The workload on Bishop is telling with opposing teams knowing how to stop us from playing. Players like Devlin are not ready for League One yet but he is considered first team back up. I think it is unfair to him as well as the team in general. Of course we havebeen unlucky with injuries but all teams will suffer that at stages of the season, which is where the squad comes into its own. I also think Mousinho is being out thought at times by more experienced managers which is understandable given that this is his first full season in charge. The worrying aspect for me is when he says he is content with his strikers which is an area where I think we are weak. We have weaknesses all round the squad and the failure to bring in a left back is also telling.
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

Blue Walter wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:58 pm I think there are multiple reasons why we are in this slump with one of the reasons being the summer window transfer business. I think the failure to significantly strengthen the squad in certain areas have now become crucial. I think the reliance on untried and inexperienced strikers was a mistake. I also think that Mousinho has become dogmatic in the style of play with his insistence of only playing one up front. The workload on Bishop is telling with opposing teams knowing how to stop us from playing. Players like Devlin are not ready for League One yet but he is considered first team back up. I think it is unfair to him as well as the team in general. Of course we havebeen unlucky with injuries but all teams will suffer that at stages of the season, which is where the squad comes into its own. I also think Mousinho is being out thought at times by more experienced managers which is understandable given that this is his first full season in charge. The worrying aspect for me is when he says he is content with his strikers which is an area where I think we are weak. We have weaknesses all round the squad and the failure to bring in a left back is also telling.
Rather than just posting the same message every week , why not just say ‘I told you so’.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

StMonkton wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:46 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:58 pm I think there are multiple reasons why we are in this slump with one of the reasons being the summer window transfer business. I think the failure to significantly strengthen the squad in certain areas have now become crucial. I think the reliance on untried and inexperienced strikers was a mistake. I also think that Mousinho has become dogmatic in the style of play with his insistence of only playing one up front. The workload on Bishop is telling with opposing teams knowing how to stop us from playing. Players like Devlin are not ready for League One yet but he is considered first team back up. I think it is unfair to him as well as the team in general. Of course we havebeen unlucky with injuries but all teams will suffer that at stages of the season, which is where the squad comes into its own. I also think Mousinho is being out thought at times by more experienced managers which is understandable given that this is his first full season in charge. The worrying aspect for me is when he says he is content with his strikers which is an area where I think we are weak. We have weaknesses all round the squad and the failure to bring in a left back is also telling.
Rather than just posting the same message every week , why not just say ‘I told you so’.
Well, I suppose I did. Or should I just agree that the club can do no wrong and Mousinho is faultless?
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Blue Walter wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:58 pm Players like Devlin are not ready for League One yet but he is considered first team back up.
I beg to differ. Loads of fans were saying the same about Paddy Lane this time last season and now look at him. Week in, week out, Paddy has been one of our best players. In his first start for us against Reading away, Devlin was fantastic - he played in the 10 and scored the winner. He has only had 3 starts all season, 12 times he has come off the bench, 9 times an un-used sub and 3 times he wasn't in the squad. I'm confident if we played him more he'd blossom.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

I don't doubt that he will be a good player and that he is capable of coming on and giving good performances from the bench. Given games he will get better and stronger whilst gaining the experience he needs. However, he is still potential and we need players that have that experience already, especially in our present slump. I don't think the comparison with Lane quite works though. Lane is older and playedat this level and the one just below. He has also excelled in the game at a higher level than Devlin. I don't dismiss the notion that Devlin could become a dependable player in the short term either but relying on him to give the older and established players a lift is an unfair burden to put on him.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Selsey Bill wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:31 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:58 pm Players like Devlin are not ready for League One yet but he is considered first team back up.
I beg to differ. Loads of fans were saying the same about Paddy Lane this time last season and now look at him. Week in, week out, Paddy has been one of our best players. In his first start for us against Reading away, Devlin was fantastic - he played in the 10 and scored the winner. He has only had 3 starts all season, 12 times he has come off the bench, 9 times an un-used sub and 3 times he wasn't in the squad. I'm confident if we played him more he'd blossom.
I'm surprised he hasn't been used a bit more, that said I'm not really sure he has a best position just yet. I'm not sure he's a number 10, I think he will turn out to be a very busy box to box type midfielder.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:39 pm
Selsey Bill wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:31 pm
I'm surprised he hasn't been used a bit more, that said I'm not really sure he has a best position just yet. I'm not sure he's a number 10, I think he will turn out to be a very busy box to box type midfielder.
I am not surprised that he hasn't played more games. I agree it would appear he is going to be a box to box player, which is how he was described when he first came to Pompey and how he played in Ireland. We don't play with a box to box type of player in midfield so he would have to play in Pack or Morrell's place or dislodge Robertson, before his injury of course. I think by playing a lone striker, like we do, there has to be a creative player in the midfield ranks. He could possibly be that player but it would be a huge step up for someone so young and inexperienced, unless that player has got the necessary skills.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Blue Walter wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:57 am
Yes I remember that. They were a division below us and it was one of those games that you could see what was coming from early on. I remember Darren Anderton having shot that hit the inside of the post and bounced across and hit the inside of of the other post and came back into play.
The Anderton game we won 2-0 both goals from him. It was part of our cup run that took us all the way to the semi final v Liverpool in '92.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

pompeygunner wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:07 pm
The Anderton game we won 2-0 both goals from him. It was part of our cup run that took us all the way to the semi final v Liverpool in '92.
My memory doesn't serve me well because the 4-1 home defeat in the cup by Orient was in January 2002. Anderton had gone by then so the goalposts incident must have came in another game. That particular incident happened in a game we lost but, on paper, should have won. A game where nothing went right and the goal post incident highlighted just what sort of day it was. Can anyone else remember this?
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Blue Walter wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:41 pm
pompeygunner wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:07 pm
My memory doesn't serve me well because the 4-1 home defeat in the cup by Orient was in January 2002. Anderton had gone by then so the goalposts incident must have came in another game. That particular incident happened in a game we lost but, on paper, should have won. A game where nothing went right and the goal post incident highlighted just what sort of day it was. Can anyone else remember this?
It was either not Orient or not Anderton BlueWalter. When he played for us they were a league below us. The only time he played against them for us was in that aforementioned cup game.