Leyton Orient

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Re: Leyton Orient

Post by Blue Walter »

pompeygunner wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:28 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:41 pm
pompeygunner wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:07 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:57 am
meakinsl wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:25 am I vaguely remember Leyton orient beating us years ago - maybe a cup game that seemed a bit of a low and a turning point or maybe it’s just old age but anyway let’s hope that is some sort of turning point and incentive to get some players in and push on - as others have said the signings will say a lot about the owners ambition right now as surely never been a better time to go for it
Yes I remember that. They were a division below us and it was one of those games that you could see what was coming from early on. I remember Darren Anderton having shot that hit the inside of the post and bounced across and hit the inside of of the other post and came back into play.
The Anderton game we won 2-0 both goals from him. It was part of our cup run that took us all the way to the semi final v Liverpool in '92.
My memory doesn't serve me well because the 4-1 home defeat in the cup by Orient was in January 2002. Anderton had gone by then so the goalposts incident must have came in another game. That particular incident happened in a game we lost but, on paper, should have won. A game where nothing went right and the goal post incident highlighted just what sort of day it was. Can anyone else remember this?
It was either not Orient or not Anderton BlueWalter. When he played for us they were a league below us. The only time he played against them for us was in that aforementioned cup game.
Yes, It looks like I have remembered that wrong. I do remember Orient beating us 4-1 in a cup game. The Anderton goal post incident must have been some other game. I will question some old tmers to see if anyone else has that recollection. Obviously it has got to be pre 1993. The Orient game that they beat us in the cup was 2002.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

We beat Orient 2-0 in '92 with Anderton scoring both, one of them a superb drag back and shot back on the edge of the box, we also lost 4-1 in 2002 I think with Canhecatchit Flappaguchi in goal.
Kingo
Robbie Pethick
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Kingo »

Last seen selling kebabs on Southsea common. Oh no, that was the other fella. Kawaguchi couldn't see over the counter.
Spiny Norman
Martin Kuhl
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Spiny Norman »

Costas a Goalos? I think.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

Last night I watched the extended highlights of the game on Saturday, I was disappointed by Bishop let me explain why.

First I’ll start by saying I’m a fan of Bishop and what he brings to the team and is not meant to be me bashing him, just my observations which taken in isolation may not reflect his 90 mins contribution.

First goal initially stemmed from Bishops poor/lack of control from a decent pass from Pack (I acknowledge Sparkes was also at fault as he switched off on the runner inside).

Second goal - Lack of communication between Raggett and Bishop about who was picking up the near post runner (7) neither did and we conceded a very soft goal.

Third goal - Again the near post runner(7) reacted quicker than Bishop who was marking that zone and they score.

Penalty - Simply a poor scuffed connection and placed far too central and a very easy safe for their keeper.

Is there an issue with his confidence, concentration or lack of effort…..?
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Mickemo wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:57 am Last night I watched the extended highlights of the game on Saturday, I was disappointed by Bishop let me explain why.

First I’ll start by saying I’m a fan of Bishop and what he brings to the team and is not meant to be me bashing him, just my observations which taken in isolation may not reflect his 90 mins contribution.

First goal initially stemmed from Bishops poor/lack of control from a decent pass from Pack (I acknowledge Sparkes was also at fault as he switched off on the runner inside).

Second goal - Lack of communication between Raggett and Bishop about who was picking up the near post runner (7) neither did and we conceded a very soft goal.

Third goal - Again the near post runner(7) reacted quicker than Bishop who was marking that zone and they score.

Penalty - Simply a poor scuffed connection and placed far too central and a very easy safe for their keeper.

Is there an issue with his confidence, concentration or lack of effort…..?
I am also a fan of Bishop and recognise that he does normally bring so much to the team. Of late he does seem to have dropped off a bit with his work rate. I don't actually attribute too much to his defensive attributes because his main job in the team is the opposite end in the attacking sector. I actually think it invites pressure to get everyone back for corners and attacking free kicks. When the ball is cleared, with everyone back defending, it is inevitably returned because the cleared ball will only find an opposing player. I don't know why Bishop seems to be going through this apparent lack of form. Perhaps mental tiredness, or even physical tiredness, perhaps even a bit of apathy from where he has been making too many channel runs that go un rewarded with a pass. I personally believe we would get the best out of him if he had a strike partner which, no doubt, people on here are bored with me saying. I just think with someone closer to him looking for goalscoring chances would benefit from Bishop's layoffs and space created by his off the ball runs. I think the whole team is suffering from a lack of confidence. Injuries have played a big part, no doubt about that, but a lack in squad quality has taken its toll in my view with being unable to change the team personnel around. A change in formation may well help.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

BW….If a side is defending a corner with 11 men as we do (N.B. JM did recently explain rationale) then each and every player has a specific role and any lapse may result in an attack on goal (& 2 occasions resulted in us conceding on Saturday).

It is fairly common for a centre forward / striker to take defensive responsibility when the opposition has a corner, Harry Kane did this superbly when at Spurs.

I hope JM has them practicing defending corners this week as there was a clear misunderstanding on Saturday for their 2nd goal.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Mickemo wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:46 pm BW….If a side is defending a corner with 11 men as we do (N.B. JM did recently explain rationale) then each and every player has a specific role and any lapse may result in an attack on goal (& 2 occasions resulted in us conceding on Saturday).

It is fairly common for a centre forward / striker to take defensive responsibility when the opposition has a corner, Harry Kane did this superbly when at Spurs.

I hope JM has them practicing defending corners this week as there was a clear misunderstanding on Saturday for their 2nd goal.
Most teams these days defend corners with 11 players back, I think it was Pep who explained in his early days that the statistics of not conceding with 11 players back is far higher than with just 10.

I think it's also to do with the keeping the ball better and not just hoofing it.