Sparkes should we keep playing him?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Sparkes should we keep playing him?

Post by jam tomorrow »

In view of of our poor defensive record in the last few weeks should we still persist with him? He was alright when we he was helping score goals but they have dried up. I also think Shaughnessy needs to improve his performances there is no doubt losing Poole has been a big factor in giving away stupid goals. Pooles class in playing out from the back was exceptional I hope we can get an equally good replacement. In terms of Sparkes I would seriously consider bringing in a quality left back
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: Sparkes should we keep playing him?

Post by Sam_Brown »

Yeah I don’t think us needing a replacement left back is going to draw too many people disagreeing. That said until then who would you like to see us replacing him with from the current squad?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Sam_Brown wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:32 am Yeah I don’t think us needing a replacement left back is going to draw too many people disagreeing. That said until then who would you like to see us replacing him with from the current squad?
I think if we had anyone capable of replacing him JM would have done so. If I was the opposition that is the area I would try to cause disruption. So I believe we need to bring someone in sooner than later. Our defence is creaking badly and it’s not just Sparkes. As someone on here has said we do not have the quality to play out from the back the way we did before Pooles injury. Let’s shore up our defensive unit before anything else.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

jam tomorrow wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:52 am
Sam_Brown wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:32 am Yeah I don’t think us needing a replacement left back is going to draw too many people disagreeing. That said until then who would you like to see us replacing him with from the current squad?
I think if we had anyone capable of replacing him JM would have done so. If I was the opposition that is the area I would try to cause disruption. So I believe we need to bring someone in sooner than later. Our defence is creaking badly and it’s not just Sparkes. As someone on here has said we do not have the quality to play out from the back the way we did before Pooles injury. Let’s shore up our defensive unit before anything else.
Central Defender.
Attacking Midfielder.
Winger.

Is what noises the club are making, but not ruling anything else out. Olgivie is back soon. So I can't see us signing another left back.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I think Sparkes is sub standard for this league and a weak link in our defence. It is obvious that opposition teams target the left side of our defence. Having that vulnerability in our defence causes the rest of the defence, and team, to suffer from uncertainty and lack of confidence. As already mentioned there is no one else that I can think of who can slot into the left back spot. So, in my view, we either have to buy our way out of the problem and recruit a dependable left back or change the way we play. I think that Sparkes is a poor player at left back but he is good going forward so, maybe, he would make an ideal wing back. I don't think Rafferty would have any problem playing as a wing back either.

One of our problems stems from being very predictable with a weak link and teams now have got us well and truly worked out in how to play against us. I think a switch to wing backs could give opposition something else to think about. Both Rafferty and Sparkes are excellent at crossing the ball so having a more mobile front line could well benefit from this way of playing.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

goals conceded league one to date

Bolton 24
Portsmouth 25
Stevenage 25
Derby 26
Peterborough 28

everyone else 29 or above

Definitely a substandard defence
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

He needs a rest
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

jam tomorrow wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:30 am In view of of our poor defensive record in the last few weeks should we still persist with him? He was alright when we he was helping score goals but they have dried up. I also think Shaughnessy needs to improve his performances there is no doubt losing Poole has been a big factor in giving away stupid goals. Pooles class in playing out from the back was exceptional I hope we can get an equally good replacement. In terms of Sparkes I would seriously consider bringing in a quality left back
Yes Ogilvie
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:29 am goals conceded league one to date

Bolton 24
Portsmouth 25
Stevenage 25
Derby 26
Peterborough 28

Statistics dam Statistics so look at how many goals we have conceded in the last games since Poole got injured think you’ll find that we have conceded a high amount and we continue to ship them in.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:43 am He needs a rest
Agreed. He like Rafferty and Kamara have had to play too much football.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

jam tomorrow wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:51 am
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:29 am goals conceded league one to date

Bolton 24
Portsmouth 25
Stevenage 25
Derby 26
Peterborough 28

Statistics dam Statistics so look at how many goals we have conceded in the last games since Poole got injured think you’ll find that we have conceded a high amount and we continue to ship them in.
15 league games before chesterfield we conceded 10, and scored 25.
12 league games since chesterfield we have conceded 15, and scored 17. Almost half of those conceded were in two games, one when down to ten men.

It's hardly a defensive collapse when you think that for all of those games without Poole we have also been without the first choice left back.

It surprises me that we are not far off even on goals scored pre and post Chesterfield, after 30 games, we could be dead even. Spooky.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Some keep forgeting we are still top of the League, all beit having played more games but they have to get points from those matches. Bolton are still in the FA Cup and EFL Trophy. Peterborough are still in the EFL Trophy. The re-arranged matches have to be played in midweek. I sense a fixture pile-up
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Bolton 24
Portsmouth 25
Stevenage 25
Derby 26
Peterborough 28

I didn't say our defence was sub standard I said one player was. I think the defence has, mainly, coped well with the loss of Poole. Just like with any team there is a weak spot.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:10 am
jam tomorrow wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:51 am

Bolton 24
Portsmouth 25
Stevenage 25
Derby 26
Peterborough 28

15 league games before chesterfield we conceded 10, and scored 25.
12 league games since chesterfield we have conceded 15, and scored 17. Almost half of those conceded were in two games, one when down to ten men.

It's hardly a defensive collapse when you think that for all of those games without Poole we have also been without the first choice left back.

It surprises me that we are not far off even on goals scored pre and post Chesterfield, after 30 games, we could be dead even. Spooky.
so what your saying is that we have had 2 really bad games, other wise conceded about the same rate ??
I dont disagree that we arent playing great at the moment, but that is accross the team,
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:43 pm

Bolton 24
Portsmouth 25
Stevenage 25
Derby 26
Peterborough 28

I didn't say our defence was sub standard I said one player was. I think the defence has, mainly, coped well with the loss of Poole. Just like with any team there is a weak spot.
I am sure he is very pleased to be singled out for the attention, glad i dont work for you Walter, must have been fun doing good work for 51 weeks of the year, making a cock up and being lambasted and potentially replaced for it ;)

We havent scored in a while, best buy a whole new front line too