I'm truly hoping this is fake news

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

I'm truly hoping this is fake news

Post by Selsey Bill »

.. but the chap who was first to announce that McIntyre was joining us has just posted that he has broken his ankle.

Only my opinion, but I believe we will struggle to go up automatically with Raggett in our starting line up.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: I'm truly hoping this is fake news

Post by jam tomorrow »

That is really bad news if true we needed a Poole replacement Rags does his best but Mac was a step up
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

I disagree Raggett may not appear to be the most cultured of players but defensively and at set pieces attacking is a good player at this level
And please based on 58 minutes game time against a really poor opposition to say someone is a step up is stretching logic a little
Since Poole got injured I can’t think of goals that were caused by Raggett but can think of 2 by Shaughnessy Cambridge and Oxford come to mind
And apparently he’s a step up as well
Losing one player who had not played a full game is hardly going to derail our promotion efforts based on the other signings during the winter window which bring new attacking threat to back up Bishop
And people accuse me of being negative !!!

Edit correction I meant Cheltenham not Cambridge
Last edited by Pompey55 on Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Selsey Bill wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:26 pm .. but the chap who was first to announce that McIntyre was joining us has just posted that he has broken his ankle.

Only my opinion, but I believe we will struggle to go up automatically with Raggett in our starting line up.
The News is also now quoting the same source. The newspaper will check this - and also Morrell - when interviewing JM tomorrow, Wednesday.

If correct, this really tough both for Tom and for the club.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Pompey55 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:25 pm I disagree Raggett may not appear to be the most cultured of players but defensively and at set pieces attacking is a good player at this level
And please based on 58 minutes game time against a really poor opposition to say someone is a step up is stretching logic a little
Since Poole got injured I can’t think of goals that were caused by Raggett but can think of 2 by Shaughnessy Cambridge and Oxford come to mind
Losing one player who had not played a full game is hardly going to derail our promotion efforts based on the other signings during the winter window which bring new attacking threat to back up Bishop

Come on 55 get real McIntyre has several Championship games under his belt so those credentials are enough to tell anybody that his experience is greater than Raggett’s. I’m not saying Rags is rubbish but when you have a player like Poole and McIntyre they bring quality and stability to our defence, why do you think JM a played him in this game rather than Rags?
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

jam tomorrow wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:54 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:25 pm I disagree Raggett may not appear to be the most cultured of players but defensively and at set pieces attacking is a good player at this level

Come on 55 get real McIntyre has several Championship games under his belt so those credentials are enough to tell anybody that his experience is greater than Raggett’s. I’m not saying Rags is rubbish but when you have a player like Poole and McIntyre they bring quality and stability to our defence, why do you think JM a played him in this game rather than Rags?
I’m not saying that McIntyre on paper and higher league experience is possibly a better player than Raggett I was making the point that the total over reaction that his injury is going to cost us promotion was an absolutely ridiculous assumption
Also he had not played for more than 4 months at any level whatsoever before we signed him so it’s difficult to judge if that layoff had affected his performance
I can over the years think of a multitude of players who have played at a higher level we have signed who are not what we would expect
But seriously are we at such a level that one mid season signing who doesn’t perform or gets injured is going to cost us promotion a realistic proposition then god help us if that’s the case
I may as well just not bother going to games as we are totally doomed due to one player’s injury
Whoops I just bought Blackpool tickets
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

I wonder if Ogilive is more of a left-sided partner at CB for Shaugnessey than Raggett, with Sparkes at LB?
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Did I miss us playing another centre back some where along the line?? I could have sworn that the games pile has been out for, raggett has been playing, and we won far more games than we lost hence we are top of the league .
Is raggett the new sparkes for this week??
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

PakefieldBlue wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:43 pm I wonder if Ogilive is more of a left-sided partner at CB for Shaugnessey than Raggett, with Sparkes at LB?
After the performance in Saturday would definitely want to keep Ogilvie at left back we looked a lot more secure and never missed the attacking threat of Sparkes as Ogilvie and Lane were very effective down that side
Plus Pack stepped up with set pieces
Anyway as PB2 said we hardly leaked goals with Raggett playing
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:13 pm Did I miss us playing another centre back some where along the line?? I could have sworn that the games pile has been out for, raggett has been playing, and we won far more games than we lost hence we are top of the league .
I saw very few complaints about Raggett during that time but suddenly because we signed a player with some championship experience all be it with a struggling team and after a 4 month injury layoff he was the messiah who would guarantee our automatic promotion apparently.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:14 am
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:13 pm Did I miss us playing another centre back some where along the line?? I could have sworn that the games pile has been out for, raggett has been playing, and we won far more games than we lost hence we are top of the league .
I saw very few complaints about Raggett during that time but suddenly because we signed a player with some championship experience all be it with a struggling team and after a 4 month injury layoff he was the messiah who would guarantee our automatic promotion apparently.
i guess with Ogilvie back in the team they cant moan that Sparkes is costing us, so now it has to be raggett. really hope our players dont read this forum, they would all be completely depressed
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Based upon the premise that as McIntyre has played a number of championship games I would assume that therefore we should be playing Whyte and Scully as they both have played a number of championship games and would be a step up from our current wingers
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:00 am Based upon the premise that as McIntyre has played a number of championship games I would assume that therefore we should be playing Whyte and Scully as they both have played a number of championship games and would be a step up from our current wingers
Big difference 55 Scully and Whyte had their opportunity McIntyre hasn’t. He was pretty solid in the short time he played. Definitely a step up
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

jam tomorrow wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:28 am
Pompey55 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:00 am Based upon the premise that as McIntyre has played a number of championship games I would assume that therefore we should be playing Whyte and Scully as they both have played a number of championship games and would be a step up from our current wingers
Big difference 55 Scully and Whyte had their opportunity McIntyre hasn’t. He was pretty solid in the short time he played. Definitely a step up
I agree that there is a difference but I still fail to comprehend how any of us are able to judge McIntyre based on playing just 54 minutes against a team who offered very little attacking threat
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:45 am
jam tomorrow wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:28 am
I agree that there is a difference but I still fail to comprehend how any of us are able to judge McIntyre based on playing just 54 minutes against a team who offered very little attacking threat
Pretty irrelevant now if the news is bad he won’t be able to prove how good he really is or otherwise. We need to move on and support Raggetino
-- Diane Johnson