Oxford

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: Oxford

Post by New Forester »

NSRailings wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:31 pm I'll be there and can't wait. Will it be the same starting line-up as at Charlton or will Yengi get a start? Mousinho likes to make a change every so often. I was surprised the ME was opened up to more home fans as I thought Oxford would bring a good number.

I think 2-1 us.

Well done. 😀😀
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Great result.

A win, even without me remembering to wear a Pompey t-shirt on match day! This MUST be the year!
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

We possibly got out of jail today but I must say the referee was one of the most incompetent I’ve seen for many a year
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

New Forester wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:29 pm
NSRailings wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:31 pm I'll be there and can't wait. Will it be the same starting line-up as at Charlton or will Yengi get a start? Mousinho likes to make a change every so often. I was surprised the ME was opened up to more home fans as I thought Oxford would bring a good number.

I think 2-1 us.
Well done. 😀😀

That was tense, frustrating but great in the end. Oxford played it around well, they were a real threat and hit the post twice. We certainly weren't at our best although Pack, Lang and Kamara stood out for me. Playing MPH in that position didn't work this time and he was ultimately at fault for their pen. It's typical Mousinho to experiment when we have a points cushion. MPH had a few good moments going forward - he has some skill but not much pace and passed backwards more often than not. When Moxon came on the difference was obvious.

Loud "Blue Army" towards the end from all corners of the ground - actually quite moving. Top stuff from Saydee.

So yes I think we got out of jail but ultimately found a way to win :thumb

And the attendance was higher than the Reading game - 20,303.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Job done. No more. No less.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:49 pm Job done. No more. No less.
I think today was a little more than that. The strong squad feeling has made a massive difference this season - and the chanting towards the end today added to it. It's that point of the season where everybody has a part to play including the supporters. After Cowley was sacked I remember Cullen saying how much he brought to the club. I think he helped to make stronger links between the club and the city and this afternoon showed that. Definitely not the be under appreciated.

Briefly bumped into Cullen today. He took the time for a short chat - good stuff.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

NSRailings wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:00 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:49 pm Job done. No more. No less.
I think today was a little more than that. The strong squad feeling has made a massive difference this season - and the chanting towards the end today added to it. It's that point of the season where everybody has a part to play including the supporters. After Cowley was sacked I remember Cullen saying how much he brought to the club. I think he helped to make stronger links between the club and the city and this afternoon showed that. Definitely not the be under appreciated.

Briefly bumped into Cullen today. He took the time for a short chat - good stuff.
I was more meaning were now at the business end of the season, and we just have to keep chalking the games off one by one. It doesn't have to be pretty, it doesn't have to be sleek - of course that would be lovely but it's just about grinding out the required number of wins now.
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

Big win. Not the prettiest performance we've had this season but sometimes the ones you have to really grind out are the sweetest and show the most character.

Keep ticking them off one game at a time. . .
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Div III. Call it what it is.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

NSRailings wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:53 pm
New Forester wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:29 pm

I think 2-1 us.
Well done. 😀😀

That was tense, frustrating but great in the end. Oxford played it around well, they were a real threat and hit the post twice. We certainly weren't at our best although Pack, Lang and Kamara stood out for me. Playing MPH in that position didn't work this time and he was ultimately at fault for their pen. It's typical Mousinho to experiment when we have a points cushion. MPH had a few good moments going forward - he has some skill but not much pace and passed backwards more often than not. When Moxon came on the difference was obvious.

Loud "Blue Army" towards the end from all corners of the ground - actually quite moving. Top stuff from Saydee.

So yes I think we got out of jail but ultimately found a way to win :thumb

And the attendance was higher than the Reading game - 20,303.
Like you I predicted a close 2-1 win for us, and I agree with your brief summary of the game prob except that Rafferty was immense today esp in the 2nd half and was our MoM. Their number 18 impressed me immensely - sign him up RH.

Yep the Blue Army chant was amazing it went on for 5 mins or so - like you say moving. I saw one or 2 Oxford players looked to the stands clearly they’ve never seen anything like it.

Let’s go to Blackpool and create havoc! (On the pitch)
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

PeteM wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:21 am Big win. Not the prettiest performance we've had this season but sometimes the ones you have to really grind out are the sweetest and show the most character.

Keep ticking them off one game at a time. . .
I said exactly this to my lad on the way out of FP, good sides find a way to win games even when they aren’t at their best.

10 games to go !
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Do you not think that a lot of Referees come to Fratton determined not to be affected by the crowd and deliberately maybe unconsciously favour the other side
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Word of praise for Colby who was involved in the build up for both of the goals
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Reading Oxford United forum they couldn’t understand how they lost this match they were the better side on the day and were unlucky. Having said that I think if we had Morrell or Lowery in our midfield we would not have not gifted them so much possession and had more control of the game. So we have to make allowances due to our injury situation which makes our win even more important under those circumstances. In fact the yellows believe we will be coming straight down from the Champs based on what they have seen of us this season.In my opinion that’s a very subjective view on the basis other clubs have said that we were the best side they have played, but whatever a win is win 🥇
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

Not a done deal yet of course but a good result.

As to prospects for next year, not only is that premature, it can make no allowance for what signings we might make.

I think one of the most encouraging things over the past few weeks has been the way the goals have been shared around. Yesterday’s winner was easy to miss and was taken beautifully.

We’ll need goals from any source in the next few weeks so let’s hope it continues.

PUP