6 points clear. 10 games to go.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

6 points clear. 10 games to go.

Post by Sam_Brown »

I’m nervous. I know most would settle for promotion but I’d be disappointed not to win the title at this point. Considering most teams in the top have to play each other 8 wins should do it.

Barnsley have potentially the easier run in for the remainder of the season. I can see them sneaking into the automatic places.

Blackpool
Peterborough
Derby
Bolton
Barnsley

Some absolutely massive games coming up for us.

Fingers crossed.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Re: 6 points clear. 10 games to go.

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Just watched the highlights of the Barnsley Bolton match. Bolton were all over them but couldn`t finish, they even missed the penalty but were fortunate to get the rebound in the 8th minute of injury time. Barnsley were lucky to get a point quite frankly. In the last 20 minutes or so Bolton doubled the number of shots executed to 20, they also hit the post and had shots cleared off the line. The Barnsley goals were rather freaky and Bolton should have taken the three points.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

Football is a strange game. The best team often loses. The luckiest often does. But we love it still.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
PompeyinAnjou
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by PompeyinAnjou »

Anything could happen in the run in. We are in a great position and deservedly so.

If we are better than the sides around us, we'll take points off most of them and go up, probably as champions. If we're not the play offs beckon and almost certainly the momentum loss will lead to another season in this league.

The 1/8 odds on promotion are so unattractive and reflect our huge support and the optimism of our fans, far more than a cold assessment of our chances of promotion.

The huge plus point for me is this squad's ability to come back against adversity either in matches or related to injury related setbacks. The belief is there in the squad and amongst the fans. This, with the points advantage and recent additions to the squad, should get us there.

The reaction to the next defeat or two has to be right. The fans know there role here and I think the players will react in a positive way too.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

PompeyinAnjou wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:00 am Anything could happen in the run in. We are in a great position and deservedly so.

If we are better than the sides around us, we'll take points off most of them and go up, probably as champions. If we're not the play offs beckon and almost certainly the momentum loss will lead to another season in this league.

The 1/8 odds on promotion are so unattractive and reflect our huge support and the optimism of our fans, far more than a cold assessment of our chances of promotion.

The huge plus point for me is this squad's ability to come back against adversity either in matches or related to injury related setbacks. The belief is there in the squad and amongst the fans. This, with the points advantage and recent additions to the squad, should get us there.

The reaction to the next defeat or two has to be right. The fans know there role here and I think the players will react in a positive way too.
The next few games are absolutely key for us, and I can see using losing one of the next two, BUT I can also see the teams around us dropping points between now and the end of the season.

For us to fall out the automatics I think two things need to happen - the teams below us need to show form they haven't all season, and we need to drop so far below the form we have shown all season.

I'm not saying it won't happen, and I'm not saying we aren't capable of total implosion but I don't think the players or the management are going to let us get too carried away by highs, or lows.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

This might sound a little defeatist, and I am of course hoping for more but, I think a Pompey draw against Barnsley, Derby, Bolton and Peterborough may not be a terrible return. Although we would only get 4 points from 12 based on those matches only, it would also mean that none of those 4 could surpass our total points, even if they all win the other 3 games (which they won't as some of them are against each other).

If offered 7 points from those 4, I would take them in a flash and anything more would be amazing, but barring defeats against 3 or all 4 of them, the race would still be very much on.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Sam_Brown wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:58 pm I’m nervous. I know most would settle for promotion but I’d be disappointed not to win the title at this point. Considering most teams in the top have to play each other 8 wins should do it.

Barnsley have potentially the easier run in for the remainder of the season. I can see them sneaking into the automatic places.

Blackpool
Peterborough
Derby
Bolton
Barnsley

Some absolutely massive games coming up for us.

Fingers crossed.
6 wins is enough I reckon, maybe 5 and a few draws.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times

Post by New Forester »

Like everyone, I’m nervous about our prospects. But look at the other league tables. Pompey are best placed of all the leaders. There will be many more worried than us.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

All well and good but I want to know now!

As ever, I’ve been in a permanent state of ‘will we? Won’t we?’ Since the season began. It does wear one out but is inevitable I fear.

Much of our fan dialogue is at heart really about ‘but will we go up?’. All the criticism of recruitment, moaning about selections and worries about lucky wins boil down to the same question in the end.

Well, we will soon know and , like everyone, I hope it’s good news. How ever hard we try we can’t forecast and analyse our way to the truth yet.

Still can’t stop doing it though.

PUP
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

StMonkton wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:45 pm All well and good but I want to know now!

As ever, I’ve been in a permanent state of ‘will we? Won’t we?’ Since the season began. It does wear one out but is inevitable I fear.

Much of our fan dialogue is at heart really about ‘but will we go up?’. All the criticism of recruitment, moaning about selections and worries about lucky wins boil down to the same question in the end.

Well, we will soon know and , like everyone, I hope it’s good news. How ever hard we try we can’t forecast and analyse our way to the truth yet.

Still can’t stop doing it though.

PUP
Very true. This topic was made to vent my anxiety at the upcoming remaining games. It’s the hope that kills you!
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

GreenBlue wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:01 pm This might sound a little defeatist, and I am of course hoping for more but, I think a Pompey draw against Barnsley, Derby, Bolton and Peterborough may not be a terrible return. Although we would only get 4 points from 12 based on those matches only, it would also mean that none of those 4 could surpass our total points, even if they all win the other 3 games (which they won't as some of them are against each other).
I was thinking the same thing about draws. Although Mousinho and co. won't be. We all have a massive part to play in the run in.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I think 5 wins from here will be sufficient - that would give Pompey 91 pts and I can't see that two other teams will finish with more than that.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

We’ve just got to hold onto our nerves I’m sure the players feel the same the same way as us however

Qué será, será
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours to see
Qué será, será
What will be, will be

Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

PompeyinAnjou wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:00 am The huge plus point for me is this squad's ability to come back against adversity either in matches or related to injury related setbacks. The belief is there in the squad and amongst the fans. This, with the points advantage and recent additions to the squad, should get us there.
100% agree with this and was saying exactly that to my lads on the way home on Saturday. This team seem to have a way that ones in the past didn't. Oxford were the better team on Saturday and deserved at least a draw from the game, but yet again we found a way to grab a winner.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Selsey Bill wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:48 am
PompeyinAnjou wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:00 am The huge plus point for me is this squad's ability to come back against adversity either in matches or related to injury related setbacks. The belief is there in the squad and amongst the fans. This, with the points advantage and recent additions to the squad, should get us there.
100% agree with this and was saying exactly that to my lads on the way home on Saturday. This team seem to have a way that ones in the past didn't. Oxford were the better team on Saturday and deserved at least a draw from the game, but yet again we found a way to grab a winner.
I think the main factor contributing to this is we can defend. When teams are better than us, or have more pressure than us we are staying in the game. Look at Reading for an example.

All the while your still in the game your a treat to the opposition.

Obviously having the mental strength for these things is a big part of it, but having a 0-0 mentality at 3-0 down rarely wins you games.