Looking ahead to the Championship

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

meakinsl
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Looking ahead to the Championship

Post by meakinsl »

Vardy looks like he available at end of the season, can still do a job in the championship but definitely doesn’t fit the young player development profile
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

meakinsl wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:47 pm Vardy looks like he available at end of the season, can still do a job in the championship but definitely doesn’t fit the young player development profile
Doesn't really fit our wage structure, given the reported £140,000 a week he is on at Leicester!
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 157 times

Post by Pompey55 »

PeteM wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:01 pm
meakinsl wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:47 pm Vardy looks like he available at end of the season, can still do a job in the championship but definitely doesn’t fit the young player development profile
Doesn't really fit our wage structure, given the reported £140,000 a week he is on at Leicester!
He needs that to pay off his wife's legal fees from wagtha trial
meakinsl
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 6 times

Post by meakinsl »

PeteM wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:01 pm
I think that’s why they are letting him go ! Guess someone will take a punt as out of contract
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Can't comment on which players have what it takes to step up to Championship level, as I have no clue. However, my guess is that, as a whole, the team isn't too far away from being able to at least have a reasonable shot at surviving next season. But 'Championship quality' players cost more, and expect to be paid more, than League One players - including those the management (and fans) would hope to keep at the club. My question is how will that, let alone anything more ambitious, be funded?

Most clubs would anticipate increased attendances in a higher division, bringing greater gate receipts and matchday income. But Fratton Park offers virtually no headroom for that at present (nor any time soon sfaics), other than by increasing ticket prices and the price of pies. But what would be an acceptable rise - 10%? 20%? 25%?

Otherwise, how much more is a Championship slice of TV money worth? How much extra can the club attract in sponsorship revenue? How much more will Tornante be willing to inject? Will Mousinho and Hughes have to sell before they buy? What does sustainable actually look like? And will the Championship prove as difficult to stay in as League One proved to be to get out of?

Promotion brings great joy, and many new questions.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

I don't think we are in too much danger of being relegated right away, and with it probably being a while before we might contend for promotion, it could very likely be that we will get to play the stripy ones twice a year for a few seasons. It seems to me we have avoided consistent derbies at least as long as I've been around.
Div III. Call it what it is.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

I’m just hoping for a season when my nerves don’t feel shredded so often as this year. A bit of mid table mediocrity would suit just fine. I’m happy to trust the owners and the management team to do what’s best for the club.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:48 pm Can't comment on which players have what it takes to step up to Championship level, as I have no clue. However, my guess is that, as a whole, the team isn't too far away from being able to at least have a reasonable shot at surviving next season. But 'Championship quality' players cost more, and expect to be paid more, than League One players - including those the management (and fans) would hope to keep at the club. My question is how will that, let alone anything more ambitious, be funded?

Most clubs would anticipate increased attendances in a higher division, bringing greater gate receipts and matchday income. But Fratton Park offers virtually no headroom for that at present (nor any time soon sfaics), other than by increasing ticket prices and the price of pies. But what would be an acceptable rise - 10%? 20%? 25%?

Otherwise, how much more is a Championship slice of TV money worth? How much extra can the club attract in sponsorship revenue? How much more will Tornante be willing to inject? Will Mousinho and Hughes have to sell before they buy? What does sustainable actually look like? And will the Championship prove as difficult to stay in as League One proved to be to get out of?

Promotion brings great joy, and many new questions.
I believe we get a chunk more money just for being in the championship and that sponsorship should increase an amount but your right it won't fund everything. So it will be coming from Tornante again - we will also have a full season of capacity at Fratton Park for the first time in a long time.

We will sell players if we feel the money is right, I'm not sure we will sell many first teamers this summer, but if they have a good start to life in the second tier I'd not be shocked to see the like of Lane attract interest.

Look at Coventry, they sold that Swedish lad for loads of money and invested that in quite a few improvements in the first team. I think that's what we are looking to do, but in the years without it we need money from Tornante - even with a new north stand.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Blue Walter »

It is true that we are not going to get bigger gates in the Championship but I assume we were getting larger gates in League One that were budgeted for. We will be getting more8 TV revenue including more live games due to the new TV deal concerning the Championship. I would also assume we will get more from advertising too. Obviously there will be an increase in ticket prices too. So all in all there will be more money coming into the club but against that outgoings will be more expensive such as players wages. Players would cost more to buy as well and the policing bill will be a bit higher due to an increase of away supporters. I doubt we will sell any of our best players and squad players that are deemed not good enough for the Championship will not raise that much money, in my opinion.

I would think our aim would be consolidation rather than a promotion push. Even so I would think there will still be a shortfall in money which Tornante will have to make up. I would think the North Stand development is a way off at the moment but I wonder if this could affect our recruitment budget.