As we near the end of the season what were your expectations for the season?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

As we near the end of the season what were your expectations for the season?

Post by Sam_Brown »

And have the club exceeded them or fallen short?

I assumed this was going to be a transitional season and a backwards step from last season which it has. Predicted an upper middle table finish which is pretty much where we will probably finish.

There have been some good runs over the season but we’ve failed to be consistent enough to contend for the top of the table. The most frustrating part of the season for me is seeing how well we have played in a few games but that hasn’t been the case for a lot of games where we have looked lethargic and mentally weak.

I think the second half of the season was stronger than the first and hopefully we continue to improve into next season and see ourselves near the top of the table.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 163 times

Re: As we near the end of the season what were your expectations for the season?

Post by Pompey55 »

I think you pretty much echo my thoughts which were formed when the summer window was a big disappointment in particular the failure to sign a competent striker, although had Hirst been started earlier he might have shown his worth earlier. I was frustrated by the constant player rotation which probably cost us a playoff place.
I’m holding my thoughts on next season to see who is retained and recruited one thing I think for certain Cowley will be gone by Xmas if we are no challenging for promotion
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: As we near the end of the season what were your expectations for the season?

Post by rumourmonger »

I just think that the missing word this season has been consistency. A couple of times we've gone on a run of games where we looked like we could take on anything that was thrown at us and then immediately slumped into a run where we looked like a team bound for League 2. Notably from the 2-2 draw away at Accrington on 23rd October to the 3-2 win over Exeter in the Papa Johns on 7th January. 14 games , 9 wins ,4 draws and 1 defeat (to Harrogate in the FA Cup) . Immediately followed by a 6 game run of 1 draw and 5 defeats . Followed by another run of 7 games with 6 wins and a draw which led into a 5 match run of 3 draws and 2 defeats.

Add to that the lack of consistency in both formation and personnel and you are left wondering where could we be with a bit more of that magic word CONSISTENCY.

I'm hoping for better next season.
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 230 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Transition is the key word here. We have seen a complete restructuring of the squad, with nearly all the bad eggs departed. Most of the incoming players improvements on those going in the opposite direction. Now Cowley`s Pompey has averaged two points a game since the January Transfer Window. Unfortunately to get in the `play-offs` this season you probably need more than 80 points which is beyond us. Two Points a match over the season is 92 points, so I am very hopeful for 2022/2023 season.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:34 pm Transition is the key word here. We have seen a complete restructuring of the squad, with nearly all the bad eggs departed. Most of the incoming players improvements on those going in the opposite direction. Now Cowley`s Pompey has averaged two points a game since the January Transfer Window. Unfortunately to get in the `play-offs` this season you probably need more than 80 points which is beyond us. Two Points a match over the season is 92 points, so I am very hopeful for 2022/2023 season.
Except we have to restructure the squad again as we have so many loan players and players out of contract.
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 33 times

Post by StMonkton »

I thought we might be mid tableish by Christmas with a good window allowing us to have a strong push for play offs.

As has frequently been the case, January was rubbish and our season has petered out.

Let’s hope we are in a good place come December. I’m doubtful though.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Many of the experts on here thought we were relegated in October. So I suppose we've exceeded.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

It's about what I expected
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Mr Dee wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:44 pm Many of the experts on here thought we were relegated in October. So I suppose we've exceeded.
As I recall that comment was actually only made by one poster and was as he admitted made with a great deal of irony and sarcasm in response to a number of posts criticizing Cowley
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:34 am And have the club exceeded them or fallen short?

I assumed this was going to be a transitional season and a backwards step from last season which it has. Predicted an upper middle table finish which is pretty much where we will probably finish.

There have been some good runs over the season but we’ve failed to be consistent enough to contend for the top of the table. The most frustrating part of the season for me is seeing how well we have played in a few games but that hasn’t been the case for a lot of games where we have looked lethargic and mentally weak.

I think the second half of the season was stronger than the first and hopefully we continue to improve into next season and see ourselves near the top of the table.
Pretty much how I see it too, to be honest. Thought we would be top half but not top six, which is about right. Relatively optimistic for next season and expect us to be genuine play-off contenders.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by New Forester »

I’m just happy that the club is alive. And me too. Whatever happens in the future, I’ll have some great memories.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Northstander
Gary O'Neil

Post by Northstander »

I remember posting we would finish half way so I'm not surprised. Agree with posts re too many loanees
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by NSRailings »

PeteM wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:14 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:34 am And have the club exceeded them or fallen short?

Pretty much how I see it too, to be honest. Thought we would be top half but not top six, which is about right. Relatively optimistic for next season and expect us to be genuine play-off contenders.
Agree with most of this. Am keeping optimism in check as it depends on the summer. I think the owners will be expecting play-offs as well so pre-Christmas will be key for the Cowleys.
Daniel
Martin Kuhl

Post by Daniel »

Thought we would be mid table cowleys had a very short time to line up players to sign in the summer.

Hopefully this summer a few will already be tapped up. Not sure tunicliff and Williams would of been the midfield he had in mind and we had so many trialists in the summer nothing was set
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

I was hoping for playoffs contention again, even in a transitionary phase. I think what hasn't helped is League One being exceptionally strong this season. 6th place is going to see a record points haul for that slot, which is I think is 80 - and that's only been achieved once. Most of the time 71/72 is enough. With three games still to go, 5th-7th place are all sitting on 76 points.

The squad rotation policy has been a double edged sword. I don't believe you should necessarily play the 'best' 11, week in week out unless you are a dominant force in the league. We're not - we've got a squad of solid, if unspectacular pros. I don't think there's a weak link in it, but nor do I think there's an out and out match-winner in it either. There's nobody in this squad which makes opponents drastically switch up their game plan so they can counter the threat.

Overall, I don't have a problem with the Cowleys in charge. I can even see us going up with them at the helm, but I don't think we're going to romp the league, not unless we can find a player to keep an opposition manager up at night.

I don't think you need to spend big money to get out of this league. But we do need to find someone.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."