Signing no. 10…Regan Poole

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 180 times

Re: Signing no. 10…Regan Poole

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

@@Pompey55
Your famous...

Post in thread 'Regan Poole' https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/thre ... st-3847505
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Selsey Bill wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:27 am I think this lad could turn out to be our best signing so far. He has been Lincoln's POTY for the last two seasons so he is no mug, and having just looked at one or two Wednesday forums they are not happy that they have missed out on him, especially to a League 1 club. Just need our No. 8 / 10 player (a Merse type) and I'd say we're good to go. PUP.
I think we have a far stronger squad than last season overall. We could do with one or two more in. Back up keeper, the much fabled 8/10 and I think we will get another winger.

I think we will see more rotation this season to keep players fresher to play at the intensity JM wants.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Milton End wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:32 am
Pompey55 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:58 am ....... but guess he’s likely to be another squad player as he hardlycomes with any real pedigree and yet another 2 year contract...
What evidence do you have to suggest that he is "just another squad player" when he was voted player of the year with his previous club? With a promotion playoff club (unlike PFC)? :?

Personally, I am astounded at the speed and quality of the signings this year at Pompey.

I will be very surprised if we fail to make the playoffs in April 2024. We might even be promoted!!
I'm inclined to agree, while the players we have signed aren't household names (what league one footballer is) they all have qualities which we lacked at times last season.

Mostly played a lot of league football - a mixture of good times and bad times so should be able to deal with any bad runs - the inability of the team to put in performances last season in the poor run is what cost us the play offs.

I think we are starting to get an insight into the footballing identity that the club is trying to instill by the players we are signing, and I'm looking forward to see them get out on the grass.
Pompeymack
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Pompeymack »

I'm looking forward to the start of the season, I will be interested to see what JM delivers with the team he has built. He did well with the team he inherited from DC.

The league this year looks a bit weaker now that Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich and Plymouth have got promoted. The player we have signed aren't all household names but lets get behind the team.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:18 am @@Pompey55
Your famous...

Post in thread 'Regan Poole' https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/thre ... st-3847505
unanimous agreement on the lincoln forum that Poole was their best player over the last couple of seasons and that he has the ability to play in the Championship. Most are disappointed to see him join Pompey in L1 because the rumours were that Sheff Wed, Bristol City, Swansea and Sunderland were interested. There is a suggestion that Lincoln turned down decent money from Sunderland a year ago for him.
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

Happy with this signing (and with our business in general so far). I wouldn't be surprised to see us bring in a loan or two towards the end of the window, once we've played a few games and can see any potential areas of weakness (and when the quality of player available becomes a bit higher).
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Well, there's the ten we were promised and I supposeed we can just expect another two to cover the keeper position and maybe a number 10.
Honestly can't see where the creativity is going to come from at the moment.
It all seems about gettting them in early and having plenty of time to focus on training methods, tactics and bonding.
That's a plan. At least I hope it is because presently I can't get excited about this squad.
If Mousinho uses the old 'the team are still bedding in' excuse for defeats this season, I think we'll know we've been had.......again.
PompeyinAnjou
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by PompeyinAnjou »

Yeah, the guy is crap, like all the other signings.

However, one very good season with Pompey and a promotion and he is worth 3m+. Two year contract and no option, which shows his ambition and single mindedness.

Top marks, Richard Hughes! In case you're wondering why he didn't go to the Championship, there is a Milton Keynes connection. We moved fast and decisively. I think our recruitment team put in some great work, again.
PompeyinAnjou
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by PompeyinAnjou »

A visit to staceywest.net might ease the worries of our resident negheads. Four articles there of interest.

Richard Hughes, he knows what he is doing.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

ExHGS1973 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:03 pm Yeah, the guy is crap, like all the other signings.

However, one very good season with Pompey and a promotion and he is worth 3m+. Two year contract and no option, which shows his ambition and single mindedness.

Top marks, Richard Hughes! In case you're wondering why he didn't go to the Championship, there is a Milton Keynes connection. We moved fast and decisively. I think our recruitment team put in some great work, again.
Not saying Poole is not a decent LEAGUE ONE player but just how does a two year contract with no option = ambition and single mindedness?
But it is reassuring to know that Richard Hughes shares the views of Lincoln City fans.
Pompeymack
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Pompeymack »

Dinksy wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:44 pm
ExHGS1973 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:03 pm Yeah, the guy is crap, like all the other signings.

Not saying Poole is not a decent LEAGUE ONE player but just how does a two year contract with no option = ambition and single mindedness?
But it is reassuring to know that Richard Hughes shares the views of Lincoln City fans.
If we do get promoted all of the players will want a new contract with a wage increase.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pompey55 »

ExHGS1973 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:20 pm A visit to staceywest.net might ease the worries of our resident negheads. Four articles there of interest.

Afraid I have very little interest and don’t give a monkeys what is posted on a Lincoln fan website it’s their opinion of one of their ex players so no more accurate than our opinions on this forum
No one has said he is rubbish just another established performer at league one level who it would appear to me never got the move to the championship he wanted and after being unattached for 3 weeks opted to sign for another league one club

Also we know Hughes is doing his job that’s why we’ve signed these players but as someone else has said at a low cost and getting value for money
thats his brief I would guess

That’s what he did at Forest Green helping them get promoted but then immediately relegated the next season

So far our squad is no more marginally better than that we had last year looking at those who left and the new signings very little difference in the wage bill
And so far any fees have been nominal and will be covered by money received for Hackett Hume and Mingi when the latter sign go other clubs so any budget increase is not evident at the moment

If I’m wrong great but nothing so far suggests anything better than a potential playoff position at best maybe just 5th or 6th

And still at present no number 8/10 signed and no goal threat without Bishop as with last season
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompeymack wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:51 pm
Dinksy wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:44 pm

If we do get promoted all of the players will want a new contract with a wage increase.
If we do get promoted with these signings we would come straight back down
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

ExHGS1973 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:20 pm A visit to staceywest.net might ease the worries of our resident negheads. Four articles there of interest.

And to add, I wonder whether Di'Shon Bernard was ever a serious prospect for Pompey.

My evidence? The signing of Regan Poole did not happen overnight. Negotiations with his agent, etc will have taken several weeks.

During this period, Dishon is playing for his country outside the UK as a free agent for the next season. Either Dishon's agent is useless or the contact with Pompey provided signals to Pompey that there was unlikely to be a deal. Couple this with Dishon playing ten games for PFC so the club knew his worth.

This implies - to me at least - that Pompey concluded that they could do better elsewhere - especially given that a strong right back, Regan, was leaving at the end of the last season....and, by some accounts, was known to Richard Hughes...
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Pompey55 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:55 pm

So far our squad is no more marginally better than that we had last year looking at those who left

If I’m wrong great but nothing so far suggests anything better than a potential playoff position at best maybe just 5th or 6th
With respect, strong on negative opinion but weak on actual evidence to support this...

...for example, what actual facts do you have to support your comment that there is very little difference in the wage bill from last season? For example, are you sure that we have not paid a hefty wage premium to sign Regan Poole given that he was a free agent?

Pompey have undertaken a major re-structuring of the squad over the last few weeks.

Based on this FACT, it must surely be wrong to conclude - as you appear to have done - that this is nothing special and we are doomed to yet more years in Div 1.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante