Transfer Rumours Championship Season

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Transfer Rumours Championship Season

Post by jam tomorrow »

The following players have been linked with us this is purely a list of these names. If previous transfers are anything to go by most of these links will go by the wayside.

Jamal Lowe
Jesurun Rak-Sakyi.
Anthony Evan’s
Tino Anjorin
Marc Leonard
Karamoko Dembele
Reece Cole,
Michael Craig
Bosun Lawal
Alex Robertson
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Transfer Rumours Championship Season

Post by jam tomorrow »

jam tomorrow wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:52 pm The following players have been linked with us this is purely a list of the names mentioned, If previous transfers are anything to go by most of these links will go by the wayside.

Jamal Lowe
Jesurun Rak-Sakyi.
Anthony Evan’s
Tino Anjorin
Marc Leonard
Karamoko Dembele
Reece Cole,
Michael Craig
Bosun Lawal
Alex Robertson
Jadan Raymond
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Claygate »

For those interested, the EFL transfer window officially opens on 10 June.
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Claygate »

Chris Conn-Clarke - 22yo striker from Altrincham. Scored 23 goals last season for the no. 10 position.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Claygate wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:21 am Chris Conn-Clarke - 22yo striker from Altrincham. Scored 23 goals last season for the no. 10 position.
I think the biggest problem with bringing in players from non league is our current set up. Like most clubs that have come from where we have is that we don't have a second, or under 21, side. This makes the transition into the first team a tough ask. Sending players out on loan is an obvious option but that means that there is a time element. People like Yengi would have benefitted at going on loan to a League Two team before he went on the front line here. However, the step up from non league to League One is not as great as the step up to the Championship and our need is players that are ready to step into the Championship now rather than later. That is not to say that we don't bring players in like the one you have suggested but our need is more urgent at the moment. Maybe our club will be thinking along the lines of establishing an under 21 team in the near future but I think that they would prefer to consolidate our position in the Championship first. So I would think most players coming into he club will be seen as able to make the step up more immediately.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Mickemo »

The ex Chelsea & West Spam youth player [Kemp] that scored a lot of goals/assists for Swindon & MK Dons last year maybe worth a closer look (poss to fill in).
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:13 pm
Claygate wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:21 am Chris Conn-Clarke - 22yo striker from Altrincham. Scored 23 goals last season for the no. 10 position.
I think the biggest problem with bringing in players from non league is our current set up. Like most clubs that have come from where we have is that we don't have a second, or under 21, side. This makes the transition into the first team a tough ask. Sending players out on loan is an obvious option but that means that there is a time element. People like Yengi would have benefitted at going on loan to a League Two team before he went on the front line here. However, the step up from non league to League One is not as great as the step up to the Championship and our need is players that are ready to step into the Championship now rather than later. That is not to say that we don't bring players in like the one you have suggested but our need is more urgent at the moment. Maybe our club will be thinking along the lines of establishing an under 21 team in the near future but I think that they would prefer to consolidate our position in the Championship first. So I would think most players coming into he club will be seen as able to make the step up more immediately.
This guy is 22, I'd read somewhere about the cost of top level academies it's astronomical I can't remember who it was but it was a league one club thinking of down sizing their academy operations due to cost on the off chance to develop a world class players (which is less and less given the way premier league clubs can mop up talent).

I personally don't think we will go down the Cat One academy route and will focus out time on bringing in par baked prospects released from other teams academies like a chunk of the lads we have just let go.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by Blue Walter »

You are probably right and we won't go down that line, not for a while anyway. I suppose the idea of these academies is to produce players for their first teams. Players that are not quite good enough probably drop down the leagues, the better ones to the Championship. Those players would command a fee which goes towards funding the academies. If you go down to League One academies those not making the grade will drop down the league but not commanding a fee. So unless lower league academies produce stars commanding high transfer fees it has to be maintained financially by the club, which then makes it not viable. So the pragmatic approach is to bring in, as you say, part baked, and continue the players development. I don't really see us doing that for a while but that will be our first step I would think.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Sam Cosgrove - can't see it myself.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Stoke City are reportedly paying £1million for Rotherham keeper not saying we should pay that sort of money but we need to spend some money bringing in a top goal keeper needed in this division.
https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/pr ... ty-4632608
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

jam tomorrow wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:23 pm Stoke City are reportedly paying £1million for Rotherham keeper not saying we should pay that sort of money but we need to spend some money bringing in a top goal keeper needed in this division.
https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/pr ... ty-4632608
I can't see us replacing Norris as number 1. I'm not sure you get much better than Norris without spending more than £1m.
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by phat_chris »

1st choice keeper is certainly not a priority since Norris proved to be the best L1 keeper. A suitable backup is required though.
The bearded man of Dalry
Collins Mbesuma

Post by The bearded man of Dalry »

phat_chris wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:13 pm 1st choice keeper is certainly not a priority since Norris proved to be the best L1 keeper. A suitable backup is required though.
Motherwell keeper is on a PCA Scotland int and Celtic ate sniffing played in championship with QPR he would be a good one gets a lot of unfair stick in my opinion might have unfinished business in the championship
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 230 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

People seem to forget that Norris was voted the Best `Keeper in League One by independant critics
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man